Monday, April 26, 2010

I ♥ my MIL

And I feel SO lucky that I can say that and fully mean it! This woman is just amazing. Being a Marine wife herself, she has been so helpful is giving me advice whenever I need it. Here are two of my favorite quotes from her. The first is just from yesterday, when I was telling her my thoughts about whether we should try to live on-base or not and all that jazz. The other was part of her "welcome to the wive's club" type email right after Matt and I got married:


"The bottom line is you will learn as  you go.  Even with growing up in the military and being IN the military, I had a lot to learn about being the wife.  I had a leg up on the jargon, the places we went and the moving thing, but it was still a new world for me.  You are coming in blind, and that too will work itself out in time.  I am always here to talk with.  Stay away from whiners, they are trouble.  Never make Matt choose between you and his job.  He will be home when he can, you know that.  It's not fair to make them feel bad when they have to be away i.e. hurricane 1996 Camp Lejeune I'm at home with a new born and a five year old taping up windows and watching the branches blow off our trees with no power, he had to be at work tying down all the gear and evacuating the beach.  The ones who whine and make their husbands choose, lose their husband or he picks them over the Corps and then resents her the rest of their life, if they manage to stay married. Ok, off the soap box."


"You DO NOT have to join any wives club if you don't want too.  I only joined when we lived on base or Tom was in command.  When Matt gets his first platoon you will want to introduce yourself to the Captains wife.  Since you will be living out of the area don't worry about it when he heads to Lejeune the first time.  Wives clubs are coming back in style.  You will figure it out.  Make sure you are part of "the wife line".  This is where all the really important info comes from.  These are the people who will take you to the doctor, cry with you, laugh with you, bitch about your husbands too.  VERY VERY IMPORTANT.  You want to know that when you are screaming for help 100 people come running.  Girlfriends and direct deposit will keep you sane!!!!I can't stress the importance of girlfriends in the same boat.  It doesn't matter if you are a privates wife or the commandants wife, you will need friends.  So be a good friend and you will have good friends. HOWEVER, DON'T LET ANYONE BULLY OR PUSH YOU AROUND.  IF SOME BITCH ASKS YOU YOUR HUSBANDS DATE OF RANK, WALK AWAY AND DON'T LOOK BACK.  WIVES HAVE NO RANK!!!!!!! IF SOMEONE TRIES TO BULLY YOU I WILL KICK THEIR ASS!!!!"




She seriously is amazing. Haha a bit blunt, but I love her advice! And it's so nice knowing I can always call her if I need to. :) I can't wait to see her and the rest of Matt's family in Vegas over Memorial Day weekend! Only one month and two days to go!!!!

5 comments:

Caroline said...

That is awesome that she is so great! It'll definitely be good to have when Matt gets deployed. :-) Oh, and you'll have me too! Haha.

Justine said...

That's hilarious! Definitely something even I can learn from!!!

Emmers said...

Haha thanks girls. And ps, anyway that I can have the blog email me whenever I get a comment? I had no idea I even HAD comments on this! But glad you're able to :-p

Cheilsea said...

Definitely works! Thanks :)

Taryn said...

Oh man ... can she be MY mil? There's a problem child or two in my life that I'm pretty sure she could take care of for me. ;