Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

I never know how to feel on Veteran's Day. Well, this morning I felt very PO'd with the world, since my bus didn't come, it was just below freezing, so I was waiting, in the cold, for 45 minutes for a damn bus. Then the metro is running on weekend schedule. Sigh. But back to the topic.

I know we should feel thankful for the veterans. And I do. Whether or not any of them fought in a war that we believed in (and almost especially to those who fought when most of the public was against it), those men and women have fought for us.
But I have a hard time celebrating it. Like you should for a holiday. I'm thankful for those who fought, but I still hate the fact that people had to die for something. Yes, it's brave. But really, why? Life isn't fair, and it sucks. I don't know if the world will ever agree on something well enough so that fighting can be prevented.

But yes, thank you to all the veterans, here, abroad, wherever, that have fought for our country. You have done a service that many do not have the courage to do. My heart is with you and your loved ones today.

No comments: